Saturday, 17 June 2017

Second Story - The Defining Day

Hey again,

Welcome back to another Tale. This one is about an eighteenth birthday that defines a future. Hope you enjoy it. =)



               I was so excited. Today I was officially being recognized as an adult. No longer would I have to worry about buying alcohol or not being able to gamble. Nope, because today was my eighteenth birthday and best of all, I would finally find out what kind of job I would have.
                Every person who turns eighteen receives a small parcel that contains a watch. Everybody knows they come from the government, but they don’t know whereabouts. These watches determine what kind of career you will end up with by displaying it on the face. My mum and dad have both got one, same with my brother and sister. Now I was the last one in my family and I couldn’t wait.
                We were all gathered in our lounge room. My parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. We’re a very close-knit family so it was a bit of a squeeze. We were all full from dinner and having a joyful time. Gifts had been passed out, when I noticed that my watch hadn’t been among them. I wasn’t the only one who had noticed that.
                “Hey Tom, where’s your watch?” My cousin, Zach asked.
                “I was thinking the same thing. You usually get it first thing in the morning,” my sister, Erin added.
                Disheartened I looked at my mum and dad.
                “Today is my birthday, right?” I asked.
                “Of course it is. Maybe it just hasn’t arrived yet,” she replied.
                “Did you check the doorstep? Because that’s where they usually leave it,” my grandmother chimed in.
                “It might be. I remember on my birthday, I nearly broke it by nearly stepping on it. It was just there, with the word ‘Teacher’ on it,” my brother, Ryan said.
                Everybody looked at their watches then smiled in a dreamy expression. Suddenly, the doorbell rang jolting everyone from their daydreams. Excitement flooded my body as I ran to the front door. Wrenching it open, I saw nothing outside, except for a tiny black box with a black ribbon wrapped around it.
                Hesitantly picking it up, I walked back to the room where I found everyone looking at me with relief.
                “I wonder what took them so long. You should write a complaint.”
                “To who, nan? We don’t know where these watches come from,” my sister said.
                Ignoring everyone, I carefully opened it and peered inside. A small, round clock stared back at me, the tiny hands ticking away indicating the correct time. Shakily picking it up, I instantly felt a connection to it. Like it was truly a part of me.
                “What does it say?” My grandmother snapped.
                “We don’t know yet. Put it on,” my mum asked.
                Slipping it on my left wrist, I buckled it tightly with the leather strap and gazed at the face, waiting in anticipation. Nothing appeared. The hands shone in the light pointing to the silver coloured numbers on the black background.
                Slowly, letters began to form behind the hands. Inching my face closer to the watch, I saw the letters continue to appear, forming a word.
                “Conquer,” I said.
                “What?” My parents asked.
                “It says, ‘Conquer’,” I replied.
                I heard my family muttering amongst themselves. They had never heard of anyone with the word ‘Conquer’ before. My face reflected in the glass as I remained staring at the word. What did it mean? Who was I supposed to conquer? Or what was I supposed to conquer?


And there goes another Tale. I hope you enjoyed it. This one, much like the first, leaves us all on a little cliffhanger, one that's possibly unique or cliched. Nevertheless, it's always enjoyable to write these Tales. I really do love writing creatively.

Anyway, more to come in the near future, so stick around and be sure to check out the Random Writing Prompt from earlier on today. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment