It's me again, here to bring you another little tale. This one revolves around a person who has decided to try and move on from the past, despite how hurt he is feeling. Hope you enjoy. =)
The calming breeze wafted through the air, gently caressing
my body and hair. I breathed in deeply, smelling the rich aroma of the salty
sea. As I climbed the increasingly steep hill, I finally emerged upon the edge
of a cliff. The deep blue sea stretched out beyond the horizon, the sound of
waves crashing against the rocks echoed from below while the sun peeked between
the clouds casting down warm, comforting rays of sunshine.
Feeling
calm and free, I placed the wicker, picnic basket I had brought with me on the
ground and laid out a blanket. I then carefully pulled out some
sandwiches, chips, cups for tea and a picture of a smiling woman with golden
locks for hair. Placing the picture opposite me, I couldn’t help but smile as I
gazed down at it.
“Well,
Sarah, here’s to another anniversary,” I said.
I began
to quietly eat the food I had brought with me whilst listening to the sea.
Looking down at the picture, I felt at peace knowing that I was here with her.
After finishing the food, I neatly packed it away before gazing down upon her.
“It’s
been almost a couple of months and, no offense Sarah, I can’t handle it
anymore. Every time I look at you, I feel like my heart is being squeezed
tightly. I just – I just can’t take it. I have to move on,” I said, tears beginning
to form in my eyes.
Reaching
into the basket, I pulled out a tiny silver urn. Walking towards the edge of
the cliff I looked out over the sea.
“This
is the spot where we had our first date, the first time I fell in love with
you, the first time we kissed,” I said as I felt a large lump begin to form in my
throat. “The place where I proposed to you.”
Slowly
opening the urn, I gazed within and saw a pile of ash filled halfway.
“You
always enjoyed this spot. And now, I want you to be a part of it.”
A
sudden gust of wind blew from behind me, ruffling my hair and causing my
clothes to flap furiously. Upturning the urn, I shook it up and down and
watched as the ash fell from within and began to flow with the wind, gracefully
turning and gliding, heading towards the sea.
A sense
of relief washed over me as I watched her disappear. Peering over the edge, I
saw the large rocks below, the waves crashing over them. The lump in my throat
began to grow larger. With shaky legs, I turned on the spot and headed back towards
my picnic basket before stooping down to pick it up. As I began to walk back towards
the trail, I peered over my shoulder at the beckoning sea.
“Goodbye
Sarah. I will always remember you. In this life and the next,” I said, a tear
beginning to roll down my cheek.
Wiping
my face with the cuff of my sleeve, I marched down the trail, leaving behind my
beautiful Sarah to become one with the wind and the sea forever in the
sunshine.
And there goes another tale. Short and sweet. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did when I was writing it. If you would like to read some more, check out the other two stories I've posted so far or stick around for later posts in the future. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment